Roofs are a significant investment to protect every home and building. When we replace and reroof a building or a home, the owners frequently ask what causes are roof to wear out. Like many questions, there are many answers and causes. Below we will identify a few of them:
1. Age and wear: Every roofing material has a lifespan, after which it starts to deteriorate.
2. Weather and environmental factors: Extreme heat, cold, wind, rain, hail, snow, and sunlight can all take a toll on a roof over time.
3. Poor installation: If a roof is not installed correctly, it may not function as intended, leading to premature wear and tear.
4. Lack of maintenance: Proper maintenance can help extend the life of a roof, and neglecting to do so can accelerate wear and tear.
5. Foot traffic: If people frequently walk on a roof, such as for maintenance or cleaning, it can cause damage and wear out the roofing material over time.
6. Poor ventilation: Improper ventilation can lead to moisture buildup in the attic, which can damage the roof from the inside out.
7. Tree branches: Overhanging tree branches can scrape against the roof, causing damage and wearing out the roofing material over time.
Being attentive to these things will preserve the life span and integrity of your roof. If you have any questions about your roof, or if you’d like a roof inspection, our roof specialist is available for you.